Behind the Steps and the Traditions:
We have guiding principles which are the spiritual background for working the program through the Steps and the Traditions. Each Step has a Principle behind it. Each Tradition has a Principle behind it, too. And, there are Concepts with Principles. These Principles, once learned and applied to how we live our lives, are our grounding foundation upon which we can live our lives. The Principles for each Step, Tradition, and Concept are:
- Step One – Honesty Tradition One – Unity Concept One – Unity
- Step Two – Hope Tradition Two – Trust Concept Two – Conscience
- Step Three – Faith Tradition Three – Identity Concept Three – Trust
- Step Four – Courage Tradition Four – Autonomy Concept Four – Equality
- Step Five – Integrity Tradition Five – Purpose Concept Five – Consideration
- Step Six – Willingness Tradition Six – Solidarity Concept Six – Responsibility
- Step Seven – Humility Tradition Seven – Responsibility Concept Seven – Balance
- Step Eight – Self-discipline Tradition Eight – Fellowship Concept Eight – Delegation
- Step Nine – Love Tradition Nine – Structure Concept Nine – Ability
- Step Ten – Perseverance Tradition Ten – Neutrality Concept Ten – Clarity
- Step Eleven – Spiritual Awareness Tradition Eleven – Anonymity Concept Eleven – Humility
- Step Twelve – Service Tradition Twelve – Spirituality Concept Twelve – Guideline
The Twelfth Concept comes with these Guidelines
- (a) Selflessness
- (b) Realism
- (c) Representation
- (d) Dialogue
- (e) Compassion
- (f) Respect
Steps Principles from Step Twelve of "The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions of Overeaters Anonymous"
Traditions Principles from the "Service, Traditions, and Concepts Workshop Manual"
Concepts Principles from the "The Twelve Concepts of OA Service"